BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Love Languages

I figured out a long time ago (well probably 6 years ago) that my love language is Words of Affirmation.

"Actions don't always speak louder than words. If this is your love language, unsolicited compliments mean the world to you. Hearing the words I love you are important - hearing the reasons behind that love send your spirits skyward. Insults can leave you shattered and not easily forgotten."

If you want to check out your love language go here.

I don't know if it has always been Words of Affirmation or if I ended up like that by default. I don't remember my mother telling me she loved me or ever hearing her praise me. I know that I thrive on reward and recognition. It doesn't mean I want a gift every time I do something but I like to know that it has been appreciated or that it has been noticed.

So lately I have been getting lots of praise on my blog, on my achievements and how much I have changed. I have enjoyed hearing this and it has spurred me on and has given me so much more confidence in what I am doing.

Every morning when I am walking to school, a lovely lady at the school always shouts out her car window.... way to go Catherine!! You know what? I walk a little faster and my smile is brighter! Its simple gestures in life that go a long way.

Once a few years back I watched this man walk everyday. I saw him all the time. He was big and he struggled but he did it everyday. So one day when I was in the car I pulled over and called to the man through the window. He came over and I told him that I just wanted him to know that I thought he was doing an amazing job and that he was inspiring me. He was so happy and said that no one had ever said that to him and that he had to get fit because his health was failing. I think I made his day and it made my day too.

The key to our success is finding out who we are and what makes us tick. We spend so much time wrapped up in the here and now that we forget to focus on what is important. My health is important and I am important. What kind of example an I setting for my children if I can't begin to help myself overcome the strangling hold that weight has had on my life? I need to lead by example and show my children the way.

So that said..... we tend to think we can't possibly be on a diet or be good or pick healthy choices because we are way too busy to prepare the right food. I don't have time, the kids have this and the family doesn't like it. These are the excuses we use to not commit to being fit. It isn't like that and it doesn't take long. Its worth it and it tastes good and it freezes. The kids can try new stuff and so can you. Take the time out! Stop and think about what you are eating and whats in it. How many calories are you eating? You can do this. I am doing this and I am now entering my 4th week on Monday!!

I made this tonight and I went to church. I went to the store and I came home at 6:45 pm. I still made it and it was worth it. It was worth not giving in because we were all hungry. Now I have two extra burgers in the freezer for the next time that we are late in and don't want to cook. Start out small and build up! Go on you all know you want a Turkey Ranch Burger!

Like the day I knew I could drive was the day that I didn't have sweaty armpits. The day that I can walk into a room and not feel self conscious is the day that I am at my goal weight!

2 comments:

Jacqui said...

This is an amazing post.....my goodness, I am now making a pledge to be good with my food and go to the gym 3 times a week. A different looking and feeling me will meet you at the airport!! Love you for writing this, you always seem to know just what to say (especially after my day yesterday) and I know it's meant primarily for you, but you also write it for others and it has done me the world of good to read it. Thank you xxxxx

Unknown said...

You are doing so awesome. You too have inspired me even though I have not gone walking for 4 days now cuz of terrible weather and then not feeling well. I just remembered I have a video for walking somewhere around here guess I need to find it and get busy with it. There is no excuse to not exercise I am just being lazy. I see the strength and willpower you have and want to have that too. I can see I am getting more fit myself and don't want to slip back into bad habits. Having you there is giving me encouragement and that helps. My family is not as likely to eat the healthier things been there they find other things to eat if they don't want what I cook. I could use that support a little more to help me. I will not give up though I have faith that I can do this to. You have given me the extra support to succeed. Thank you for support and encougagement you are the best. Love ya sweetie